BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Coming here to the Dominican Republic and Haiti has given me a roller coaster of emotions, the least of these, laughter. Seeing how a lot of these people live just makes me so greatful that I am from Canada. We have so much and they have so little. In Canada there are all kinds of safety nets to help you get by when things get bad. Here theres practically nothing for a lot of the population.
During our first week here we were involved in a feeding program. Now that is a sight to see. Food is cooked in two big pots and served first to the elderly and pregnant women. Then the children are let in ten at a time to recieve a meal. With their meal, they are given only water to drink. There is not much food left in the bowls when they are finished. As we were nearing the end of the food supply for the day, I motioned to the man at the gate that we could feed one more. A little boy squeezed in and the gate was shut. Whoever was outside had to go away hungry. Anyway I had placed the bowl of food on the table to my left. The little boy sat at the table to my right. I went over and not knowing the language gestured for him to move off the bench. He started to cry. Thinking there was no food, he headed for the door. We stopped him and brought him back to where a bowl was waiting for him. The relief and joy on his face was awesome. I can only try to imagine the agony that the people in charge of the feeding program go through as they turn people away because there is no food left. "Take a look in your fridge and cupboards and be very greatful".
Then there was our trip to Haiti. We went to Cap Haition, a city of 1.2 million people. The devastation in that city is beyond description. The city hasn't had garbage collection in years. Everywhere you look, there is garbage. Raw sewage runs through the streets and in a lot of cases that is where the children play. It was in Cap Haition we met a guy named Franso who became our guide. He took us to an area up in the mountains to meet some people whom he tries to help. We met in one home no bigger than 10 x 14 feet. The floor was solid rock and not that smooth. Here lived a couple with five children. The father of the children had an accident four years ago and was paralized from the waist down. His bed was two pieces of carpet layed on the rock and his pillow was a piece of wood. On our way across the boarder we passed a truck full of mattresses. I knew at that moment that I would be coming up this mountain again today if at all possible. I told our guide my intentions and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He told me later that of all the groups that he had shown around we were the first ones to offer any financial help. We decended the mountains and we walked around the city until we found a store that sold mattresses and pillows. We paid for the mattress and pillow, I took the mattress and Rana took the pillow and we started our climb. Climbing a mountain at 37 degree temperature, carrying a 36 inch mattress was hot work but the end result was worth it. We went to his home and thought the interpreter told them what we wanted to do. They were elated. We moved the crippled man from his rock and carpet, laid down the mattress and pillow and then we put him back on the mattress: If I never knew the meaning of joy and fulfillment before, I felt it that day. I can honestly say that I felt like I floated off that mountain.
Seeing so many needs with a limited amount of resources makes a person feel a little helpless but we are not here to change the world but we can change one persons world. Doing so feels so good.

Gilbert

0 comments: