BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Broken car, but no broken spirits

This blog is being written for yesterday, August 10th. I had every intention of writing this entry yesterday, however, I couldn't seem to gather my thoughts at all. Danielle P and I went to to a cafe to use wifi and the music was so loud, and there was so much commotion that I couldn't concentrate at all.

Yesterday had an interesting start. We were on our way to Mamma D's, (which is only a one minute commute by car) and we were almost there when our car died in the middle of the street! We thought that because we pack all six of us into a tiny little hatchback that someone had touched the shifter and slipped the car into neutral, but no such luck! We tried starting the car a few times, but to no avail. Two natives who were stuck behind us in the street stepped out to help us push the car to the side of the road. It was a little bit of a setback because we were supposed to be going to the clinic at 930am, however, we didn't end up getting there until 12.

By that time, the clinic was closed, so we just hung out with some kids and counted and bagged some meds. I know that counting pills doesn't seem like the most exciting thing ever, (and it really isn't), but it helps you think about the things we take for granted all the time, like the accessibility we have to simple medications like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Vit C, etc. It really puts things into perspective.

After we left the clinic, we went to a village called Arroyo Seco to do our VBS program. From Nazaret, it takes about 20 minutes by car on the world's bumpiest dirt road. It's only about 3 miles, but it seems like it's a neverending ride! The VBS program was Sarah's baby, and let me say that she did a fantastic job with it! She talked about how God made each of us very special and that He loves us all very much. We made friendship bracelets and at the end we gave them all playdough. They thought they had their fortune! All the hard work the girls put into preparing the playdough really paid off!

After that, we bought groceries, ate supper, did devotions and had a good night's sleep.

This trip has opened up my eyes in so many ways. I have seen so much and have experienced things that I never thought I would. The sad, hungry eyes of the children will never leave my mind. I just pray that God will continue to open doors and allow us to minister to many more people.

Until next time, keep fit and have fun!

Hasta Pronto.

Danielle Chatman

0 comments: